Monday, February 15, 2016

Knowing God's voice

Honestly, trying to decipher between knowing whether God is speaking directly to me vs. hearing what I want to hear is one of the most challenging aspects of being a Christian woman.  I've sought several methods of input on how to know the difference, and this weekend I finally got clarification on the subject!  I'm so excited and blessed and just wanted to share what I found out with you.

I was listening to Pastor John K. Jenkins, Sr. and his sermon on determining with clarity if God is speaking to you. He broke it down in a way that really touched me and gave me scriptural evidence to know when it indeed is from the Lord.

1. God's voice rules by peace.  Sometimes we find ourselves in a storm, even though we are in the will of God.  He will give us His perfect peace in the midst of our struggles and trying times.  You can trust that you will feel peaceful in your heart even though the situation you're in is causing you to feel upheaval in your mind.  Colossians 3:15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.

2. God does not use fear when He speaks. You can face fear directly, even run to it, because you know without a doubt that God is right there with you.  You will Face Everything And Rise with God by your side! 2 Timothy 1:7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

3. God does not operate by quick deadlines. He is not governed by time. The devil wants you to hurry up and make rash decisions based on fear, instead of taking your time to pray and seek God's direction.  
Isaiah 52:12 You will not leave in a hurry, running for your lives. For the LORD will go ahead of you; yes, the God of Israel will protect you from behind.

4. God speaks good things. He talks in a positive way, even when the things He is telling you are difficult to hear.  He clearly spells out what you need to do.  Philippians 4:8 And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.

5. God speaks in harmony with the scriptures.  He won't ever tell you to do something that goes against what He has commanded. His will always lines up with His Word. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

I hope this gives some understanding to you of how to discern the voice of God over the worlds chatter. I plan to review it often to remind myself that God is before me, within me, and beside me at all times, directing me and showing me exactly the best way to go - His way!  Through pray and taking time to really listen for God's response, I am confident that I will be able to discern His will for my life much better than before.

What helps you know when God is speaking to you?  How are you able to follow His will and His ways?


No comments:

Post a Comment