Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Quiet Time

Ahhhhh, morning.  How I cherish the uninterrupted quiet, peaceful time.  I love having a chance to fuel my mind and spirit for the upcoming day by beginning it with God.

Some days, I am fully awake and just soak in all the wisdom and guidance from the Word.  Other days, honestly, I am groggy and still wishing I was curled up in my comfy bed, dreaming and sleeping.  I can remember kneeling at my couch one morning and actually falling asleep during a prayer!  How's that for failing at an attempt to have quality quiet time!

The wonderful thing about time with the Lord is that it doesn't have to be perfect.  I know years ago I struggled with this thought.  I felt that if I didn't rise at the break of dawn and spend hours in prayer and Bible study I would be banished from heaven for being such a heathen.

Then a wise woman shared with me the importance of seeking God.  She mentioned that our goal in having a meaningful quiet time was to give God our best.  If that means 5:30 a.m., then so be it.  It might mean for some that the middle of the day is the best time for meeting the Lord.  For others, late at night when the house is quiet and everyone is asleep is their best time.  Your best time is just that - yours!  Don't let anyone else tell you something different.

The most imperative part of this process is that you are seeking Him and wanting to spend time with Him. 

Life happens, as we all know.  You oversleep.  The kids wake up earlier than usual.  You have an appointment, or you aren't feeling well.  Those circumstances are understandable.  Just don't let them completely take you from your intention to be with God.

There have been situations in which I'll have 4 wonderful minutes with Him, and then something happens to take me away from that time and I have to come back to it.  Once I get back to that place of worship and focus on God, another little fire appears that I have to put out.  Now I'm up to 6.7 minutes with Him!  I quickly realize that the actual number of minutes is not what matters. Having my heart and mind fully focused on the Lord and His goodness is what counts.



 


Just be still.  Quiet yourself.  Close your eyes and simply be in His presence.  Check in with Him, and ask what you can do for Him today.  Ask for guidance and see what He tells you.  Read your Bible.  Seek His wisdom.  Unload your burdens.  Pray about what matters to you.  He cares, and He loves to have that special time with you.

The physical place and time you take to be with God is not of utter importance.  Your genuine desire to be with Him and your willingness to make it a priority is most significant.

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

Jeremiah 29:11-13







No comments:

Post a Comment