Friday, June 21, 2013

Running

Clothes.  Socks.  Shoes.  Hat.  Phone for tracking mileage.  Arm band for phone.  Drink water.  Time to go!

"You can do this,"  I say several times.  Press start.  Listen for 5 second count down.  Start running.

Every time I begin my run it is the same drill. No matter which direction I choose to go when I leave my house to run, I am faced with a hill.  Honestly, each time I have to pep talk myself into making it.  Amazingly enough, I always get there and as I crest the top of the hill, I feel very empowered and happy.

I shared with my daughter that I talk to myself while I run.  "Seriously mom?  Please, no!" she says to me.  She found it quite funny that I do.  "It motivates me," I tell her.  "Oh my gosh, what if people hear you?" she asked.  "Oh well!"  I said.

Strength.  Determination.  Perseverance.  Commitment.  Stamina.  Focus.  Will power.  Purpose.

I am thankful that so far I've been able to enjoy running without injuries or pain.  I definitely feel it in my muscles and body after a run, but it's a good thing.  Let's me know I'm working hard.  I just wonder if I look goofy when I run!  Silly, I know, but I have seen people out there running who clearly look as if they should have chosen another way to exercise.  The pain they seem to be in as they shuffle along is hurtful to watch and I don't feel that way so hopefully I don't look that way!

On September 7th, I will be running a 5k.  I am so excited!  It's a goal I've set for myself and who knows what I'll do after that.  Maybe continue to run, or possibly go back to power walking.  We shall see.  Until then, I'll continue to run each day, talking to myself along the way!  :)





...they will run and not grow weary...(Isaiah 40:31)

2 comments:

  1. I love your goal and commitment to see it through. You can do it.

    ReplyDelete